Ask Question and Get Free Answers - JUST Ask And Answer > QA > Business & Finance > Renting & Real Estate
How do I get legal rights to property deeded in name of late grandfather /I pay property taxes/no deed?

Answers:1   |   LastAnswerAt:2009.12  

Asked at 2009.12.19 02:03:10
grand father passed away years ago,uncle paid taxes and used property/lived in house.uncle passed away in 94,grandmother paid taxes til 96 when she passed away,aunt took over taxes in 94 til she passed away in 2005.I took overtaxes but house has been empty since 96 no longer liveable want to take house down and replace with another home but not sure about legal rights
answer Ken  Answered at 2009.12.19 02:03:10
First, you need to determine how your grandfather owned the property. If he owned it jointly with anyone else, it is possible that the title to the property transferred to that person (presumably your uncle) automatically upon your grandfather's death. That may be why there was no deed recorded at that time, it would be unnecessary.

If your grandfather owned the property solely, in fee simple, then your next step is to determine how the property passed according to a will or by the laws of intestate succession. If there are individuals who are entitled to an interest in the property but were not notified, it doesn't matter how long it has been the rights have not been extinguished. That means you may have numerous cousins out there that are entitled to a portion of the property.

If your uncle did take title to the property upon your grandfather's death, the same questions apply to your uncle and his estate.

It is not an easy situation. Best of luck to you.
  • Answer This Question:How do I get legal rights to property deeded in name of late grandfather /I pay property taxes/no deed? 

  • insert image

    image url:

    such as:**/**.jpg

    insert video

    vedio url: